The purpose of this Society shall be:
- To motivate the study of the Medical Sciences in their highest manifestations.
- To unify Spanish speaking physicians and Dentists and to advance their interests.
- To promote the well-being of the New York Hispanic population, with regards to the problems of medicine and health, before Medical and Governmental authorities.
To become members, candidates should have a Medical or Dental degree and a current license to legally practice in the United States. In addition, they should speak Spanish.
The Society schedules monthly scientific activities throughout the year. These gatherings are offered as a dinner/lecture series to which well-known local specialists are invited to speak. Once a year, the Society organizes the InterAmerican Medico-Dental Congress which takes place during the Columbus Day Weekend. In order to maintain the quality of the Congress nationally renowned Medical and Dental specialists are invited as speakers. This event is sponsored by the Medical Society of New York (MSSNY) and the Queens County Dental Society. Participation at the Congress grants CME credits to Physicians and ADA and AGD credits to Dentists.
The Society has a social program that includes the following:
- Celebration of “Doctor’s Day“, a day that was officially approved by the United States Government, with a Congressional Resolution #366 designating March 30th as National “Doctor’s Day”.
- Scholarship Spring Luncheon – a fund raising activity
- December Gala – All the activities of the year are concluded with this party at one of the best hotels in New York City.
The Auxiliary Committee, composed of the member’s spouse, organizes many cultural activities that include attending the theater, ballet, concerts and Broadway shows.
Through the fundraising efforts of the Auxiliary Committee, a scholarship fund is administered with the specific purpose of granting scholarships to Hispanic students of good standing, with reduced economic means. We also participate in health fairs in the tri state area.
Some of the benefits of a membership in the Spanish American Medical Dental Society of New York, Inc. are:
- CME Credits
- Financial Consulting Services
- Reduced Rates for Office Insurance
- Internet Members List